Games & Rules
COMPETITION DIVISIONS: Bocce Ball is an individual age category competition which is divided into both men and women divisions.
Bocce Ball is a competitive game accumulating points to win.
1. Participants are called regarding an approximate time for their match.
If they aren’t present when their match begins, it’s a forfeit.
2. Games are single elimination except in the medal round and when a round robin format is used due to the number of participants.
3. The winner is the first player to score 8 points. In the medal round the winner is the first player to score 11 points.
4. To start the game, the winner of a coin toss decides to either throw
the Pallino first or choose the ball color.
5. On the initial throw the Pallino must pass the center line.
If the Pallino hits the back wall it is considered dead and the opponent will throw the Pallino to put it in play. If the Pallino again hits the back wall, considered dead and the first person throws again.
6. The player that puts the Pallino in play will throw the first bocce ball as close as they can to the Pallino. The other player then tries to throw a ball closer to the Pallino than the starting person. Once that player throws a ball closer than the first player or throws four balls, the play reverts to the first player. Play alternates back and forth each time a player throws a ball closer to the Pallino than their opponent until both players have each thrown four balls.
7. Any ball that hits the back wall is dead and is removed from the court. If it hits another ball before being removed from the court, the ball that was hit is returned to its original position.
8. If the Pallino is knocked into the back wall by a ball, it stays where it lays.
9. The player with a ball closest to the Pallino at the end of the frame scores a point. That player scores additional points for each ball that is closer to the Pallino than their opponent. There is a maximum of four points per frame.
10. At the end of a frame if the closest balls of each player are equal distance from the Pallino, no points are awarded.
11. If a player throws the wrong color ball, it is replaced with the proper colored ball.
1. The participants with the three highest scores in the age categories below will be awarded Gold, Silver and Bronze medals.
2. In case of ties, duplicate awards will be given.
50-54 – 65-69 – 80-84 – 95+
55-59 – 70-74 – 85-89
60-64 – 75-79 – 90-94
1. Courts used in this competition measure 9′ X 75′.
2. The game is played with nine balls: four green, four red, and a ninth small white ball called the “Pallino.”
OFFICIALS: Any circumstances not covered in these rules will be ruled upon by the Event Coordinator.