Games & Rules
COMPETITION DIVISIONS: Horseshoes is an individual age category competition which is divided into both men and women divisions.
Horseshoes is a singles round-robin tournament.
The day of the tournament if people are willing and time allows, we will have DOUBLES competition. This will be determined on the date scheduled.
- A coin toss will determine who pitches first.
- Pairing for competition will be done prior to the tournament.
- Contestants will always observe foul lines.
- Player pitching first will step to rear of opponent after delivering shoes so as not to disturb opponent’s concentration. Both players will walk to opposite end of the court together after delivering their shoes to tally their scores.
- Men age 50 – 69: Players will pitch from a 40-foot distance. Game will be 30 shoes pitched regardless of points scored. High score after 30 shoes will determine winner.
- Men age 70+: Players will pitch from a 30-foot distance. Game will be 30 shoes pitched regardless of points scored. High score after 30 shoes will determine winner.
- All Women: Players will pitch from a 30-foot distance. Game will be 30 shoes pitched regardless of points scored. High score after 30 shoes will determine winner.
- Tournament play will be structured as bracket play (singles or doubles elimination) or the best of two out of three.
- If after 30 shoes pitched and the score is tied, play will continue by playing down and back. This will continue until there is a winner.
- A “ringer” is a shoe which encircles the stake so that a straight edge can touch both points of the shoe without touching the stake. A “ringer” will be scored as three points.
- All shoes within 6” of stake count as one point.
In women’s competition, a shoe will count for a score if it is inside the box without hitting or touching the wood.
- A leaning shoe is one point.
- Ties shall be broken by pitching an extra round, or as many extra rounds as necessary to determine a winner.
- Winners will be awarded and receive in each age category below the gold, silver, or bronze medals.
50-54 65-69 80-84 95+
55-59 70-74 85-89
60-64 75-79 90-94
- Participants may furnish their own horseshoes.
- Horseshoes will also be furnished by the Golden Games Committee.
- All rules of the National Horseshoe Pitchers Association will be followed.
- Any circumstances not covered in these rules will be ruled upon by the Event Coordinator.