Games & Rules
Pinochle is a doubles, age category competition. There is one division which is mixed gender.
- Teams will receive a number. Their names and number of their team must be written on
their game card.
- After each round (four hands) a team member enters the score of both teams playing the round, signs the card and enters the team and table number. The game card is then turned in and a new game card will be issued. One team then moves to another table.
- The Event Coordinator will total the game card scores to determine the winners.
- There will be 20 hands played; playing four hands per table.
- In case of a tie, one hand will be played to determine the winner.
- Table rotation will be determined after the number of teams has been established.
- There will be a 45 minute break for lunch.
- A double deck of Pinochle cards will be used with a 250 minimum opening bid. If no one bids, the dealer must take it at 250. The minimum incremental bid is 10.
- If the team naming trump is set, they lose their meld and the amount of their bid is added to the opponent’s score. They receive nothing in cards.
- If the team naming trump reneges (sometimes called a revoke), they lose their meld and the amount of their bid is added to the opponent’s score. They receive nothing in cards.
- If the team not naming trump reneges, they lose their meld and receive nothing in cards.
Their opponent does not get their bid.
- The person naming trump must lead trump on the first trick.
- If no tricks are taken, the team loses meld.
- Ace of every suit counts 100 points, double 1000, triple 1500, quadruple 2000.
- King of every suit counts 80 points, double 800, triple 1200, quadruple 1600.
- Queen of every suit counts 60 points, double 600, triple 900, quadruple 1200.
- Jack of every suit counts 40 points, double 400, triple 600, quadruple 800.
- Jack of Diamonds and Queen of Spades counts 40 points, double 300, triple 450, quadruple 3000.
- A single run (A, 10, K, Q, J) counts 150 points, double 1500, triple 2250, quadruple 3000.
- K and Q of same suit counts 20 points, double 40, triple 60, quadruple 80.
- K and Q of trump counts 40 points, double 80 points, triple 120, quadruple 160.
- K and Q of every suit is called “Around the World” and counts 240 points.
- When counting your take, A’s and 10’s count 10, K’s count 10 and the last trick counts 20; for a total of 500 points.
- Both teams should count their take.
- Re-deal permitted only when there is a mis-deal.
- Overlooked meld will not be counted after the first card has been played.
Two decks of Pinochle cards for each table will be provided (with 9’s removed).
Any circumstance not covered by these rules will be ruled upon by the Event Coordinator.