Games & Rules
COMPETITION DIVISIONS: Weightlifting is an individual age competition which is divided into both men and women divisions.
1. There are three weightlifting events: bench press, leg press and arm curls.
2. The weight class divisions are as follows:
0 – 165 lbs.
166 – 195 lbs.
196 – 226 lbs. & over
0 – 130 lbs.
131 – 160 lbs.
161 lbs. & over
3. The age categories are as follows:
50-54 — 65-69 — 80-84 — 95+
55-59 — 70-74 — 85-89
60-64 — 75-79 — 90-94
4. In all events, competitors will be given three attempts/lifts. Competitors pick an opening weight for his/her first attempt. If the opening weight is a scratch, the competitor will be allowed to choose a lesser weight for the second attempt/lift. If after three attempts competitor has not completed a successful lift, he/she is disqualified from the event. A Judge will call “lifter ready” and then “lift.”
1. Equipment: Olympic Bar plates and Olympic flat bench
2. The competitor will lie flat on his/her back; feet must be flat on the floor. The lifter must start with arms fully extended in a locked position. If requested by competitor a lift off can be given on a three count. Competitor must touch chest with bar and push back to the locked out position. Competitor must touch not bounce the bar to their chest at which point the judge will say “press” the competitor will then push back to the locked out position. (No Bouncing) touch and go.
3. Shoulders, buttocks and feet must be flat on bench and floor at all times.
4. If spotter has to touch bar during the course of a lift the lift will be no good.
5. Wrist wraps and any other medically required adds will be allowed for the bench press
6. NO lifting shirts or tanks of any kind will be allowed
7. Lifts must be increased a minimum of 5lbs (i.e.; 100 to 105) with each successful lift.
1. Equipment: linear leg press.
2. The competitor will begin in a reclined position with both feet on the platform and lift the weight to a locked out position/legs fully extended. The competitor will lower the weight until the thigh/upper leg and shin/lower leg form a 90 degree position or less. The competitor will then push the weight back to the locked out position for a complete lift.
3. No knee wraps will be allowed for leg press, unless it is for a medical condition (i.e. torn ACL) 4. Lifts must be increased a minimum of 10lbs (i.e.; 100 to 110) with each successful lift.
1. Equipment Required: Olympic curl bar and Olympic weights.
2. Form Required: The competitor must be in a standing position. He/She will hold the bar in the fully extended position (against thighs). The lift begins in a still position against the thighs with a significant pause. The competitor cannot lift the bar from the ground to thighs and curl bar in a continuous motion. The lift is completed when the competitor lifts the bar upright to a position in front of the chest and shoulders.
3. During the lift cycle, the upper arms may be bent only at the elbows. The upper arms may not be brought forward.
4. The bar may not bounce off the thighs at the beginning of the lift.
5. During the lift cycle, no back sway or leaning backward is allowed. The lift must be virtually level during the lift cycle.
6. Lifts must be increased a minimum of 5lbs (i.e.; 100 to 105) with each successful lift.
OFFICIALS: Any circumstances not covered in these rules will be ruled upon by the Event